Dark-eyed Junco
Dark-eyed Junco. Pictures taken by Captain Yves with a zoom lens.

THE NATURAL WORLD OF SOUTHERN VANCOUVER ISLAND THROUGH THE LENS OF CAPTAIN YVES

Dark-eyed Junco is one of the most common birds in North America and can be found across the continent,from Alaska to Mexico.

Recent estimates place the Junco’s total population at approx. 630 million individuals!

When males are courting females, they fan or flick open their wings and tail, hop up and down, and pick up pieces of nest material like mosses. Females seem to prefer males that show more white on their tail.

Dark-eyed Juncos will nest near humans in branches, hanging baskets, light fixtures or even under buildings.

The Juncos diet is made up mostly of seeds, 75% in fact the other 25% comes from the insects including, butterflies, caterpillars, wasps and flies.

Close Menu